They say the best way to meet your goals is by telling people about them in order to be accountable, so here is our list of goals…both long and short term. We’re not officially calling it our 30 by 30 list, but we’ll try to get as many of them done in the next 2 years as possible!
Rehab the fireplace/mantle* Completed 10/28/11 * Paint/Re-tile Daniel’s bathroom.* Completed 10/16/11 *
- New tile in Emily’s bathroom.
- New tile in the kitchen.
- Make our yard beautiful.
Build shelves for the dining room.* Completed 12/30/10 *
Paint dining room table white.* Completed 2/15/11 * Paint Emily’s bathroom.* Completed 6/29/11 * Get a new fridge.
- Organize the garage.
Paint the front door.* Completed 5/31/11 *
Foster a dog.* Started on 7/9/11 * Begin volunteering on a regular basis.(Emily) * Started on 6/5/11 *
- Make an important items binder including serial numbers for all big ticket items we own. (thanks for the idea, Kate!)
- Get a will and health care directive.
Get a master’s degree. (Emily)* Completed on 5/4/12 * Listen to 5 new books on CD during commute (Emily). (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Bossypants, Council of Dads, Water for Elephants, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, America Again: Rebecoming the Greatness we Never Weren’t, The Art of Racing in the Rain)* Finished on 3/28/12 *
- Start practicing my french language skills again. (Emily)
- Take a refresher photography class. (Daniel and Emily)
- Take a cooking class. (Daniel and Emily)
- Sing a song at a karaoke bar. (Emily)
- Learn to drive a stick shift. (Emily)
- Be a contestant on a game show (preferably Jeopardy). (Emily)
- Send a postcard to PostSecret.
- Go one week without watching television. (Daniel and Emily)
- Get jobs that we both love.
Get family portraits taken* Completed 11/4/12 *
Finish paying off our consumer debt.* Completed 1/22/11 * Finish paying off Daniel’s student loan debt. * Completed 3/4/11 *
- Finish paying off Emily’s student loan debt.
- Have 3 months of expenses in an emergency fund.
- Have 6 months of expenses in an emergency fund.
- Have 9 months of expenses in an emergency fund.
- Have 1 year of expenses in an emergency fund.
- Pay cash for a car.
Start regularly contributing to our Roth IRAs.
- Start contributing the maximum matched contribution to our 401(k)s.
- Give a $100 tip to a server for exceptional service – even on a small tab.
- Write a $1,000.00 check to charity.
- Pay for someone’s meal behind us at a drive-thru window.
- Pay cash for a house.
- Do Couch to 5k program.
- Run a 5k
- Run a 5k in another state.
- Hit goal weight. (Daniel and Emily)
- Get on a walking schedule with the dogs.
- Quit drinking soda for good. (Emily)
- Quit biting nails. (Emily)
- Try acupuncture. (Emily)
DIY Laundry Soap* Completed 5/29/13 *
Couch surf for an entire vacation. * Completed on my Blogger Girls Gone Wild trip to the D.C. Metro area – see here and here * Road trip through the Pacific Northwest.* Completed 5/11-5/17… see here, here, here, here, here, and here *
- Road trip through the Northeast.
- Road trip along the Gulf Coast.
- Drive Highway 1 from San Diego to the Canada border.
- Visit at least 5 countries we haven’t been to: Croatia, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Austria, Ireland.
- Go camping.
- Fly first class.
- Go to a college bowl game (preferably a Nebraska bowl game).
- Spend Christmas in a foreign country.
- Rent a beach house for a week with friends.
- Rent a house on the slopes and go skiing for a week.
- Go sailing.
- See a show on Broadway.
- Take a vacation at an immersion resort to jump start my French speaking skills (Emily)
- Do a California winery tour by bicycle.
- Go on a spontaneous vacation.
Take a Girl’s Only trip with my two best friends.* Completed 9/12 – see here and here *
Do a guest blog post* Completed 6/24/11 and again on 7/11/11 * Have someone guest post on our blog.* Completed 7/11/11 * Build our website from scratch with our own domain name.* Completed 8/21/12 * Update blog roll.* Completed 12/10/11 * Blog every day for one week (aka the work week – 5 days).* Completed Aug 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 * Blog Monday-Friday for one month.* Completed – all of January 2012 * Attend social media class.* Completed – “Social Media for Non-Profits” and “Tough Love: What Brands Really Think About Your Blog.”
- Attend a blogging conference.
Meet 10 blog friends in person(Crystal from Wayward Dogs, Helen from Black & White, A & E from Two Pitties in the City, Scott & Kim from Yellow Brick Home, Katharine from Two Kitties One Pittie, Claudia from A Franklin a Day, Sarah from Married with Dawgs, Ashley from Pitlandia, Amber from Mayzie’s Dog Blog, Dana from Life with Beamer, Jess from Pittieful Love, Juliana from Peace Love Foster, Tracey from Oh Melvin, Kate from Kate with a Camera, and Katie from The Crowded Couch)