What makes a Turkeyman: Revealed

July 15th, 2013 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Turk's Takeover

Turkey’s DNA results are in! After all the speculation as to whether he is or isn’t a pit bull, the answer is…

I could try to explain it but it might just be easier to let you see for yourself…

Would you be surprised if I told you I am not really surprised at all? Well, that’s not exactly true. The Beagle came totally out of left field. I mean, really?! Beagle?! But I actually told a friend when I was waiting for the results that I wouldn’t be surprised if Turk had some Weimaraner in him because it would explain why he was such a nervous dog. I mean, nervous in the way I’ve only seen Weimaraners be nervous. And the Am Staff… well, maybe it was wishful thinking, but I just knew he was going to be at least a little bit of a pit. He just had to be.

The breeds that were most present in the “mixed breed” portion of Turk’s genetic makeup were just crazy! I haven’t even heard of half of them.

So at the end of the day, the DNA test established what I already know: Turk is a big ol’ mutt. Our big ol’ mutt. And he is perfect just the way he is.

So what do you think? Did the DNA results surprise you at all? What did you think he would be?

• Ah Turk!! Turns out you’re my favorite breed — MUTT!!

And those “mixed breed” breeds — crazy! Could you see him having the hair of a Puli??

We’d still call him a pitbull even if he didn’t have “Pitbull” in him – but it’s a bit satisfying that he does, isn’t it??

Well that Puli part could explain why he sheds like crazy year-round! Don’t they shed quite a bit before their hair gets all dreaded out?

• Mutts are the best! Your dog doesn’t have to have pit bull in him/her to be an advocate for pitties everywhere! ( I learned that first hand when we got Nola’s DNA and she has 0% pit in her!) P.S. Do you use the DNA test where you have to draw blood, or just do a swab?

We did the swab test for all of our fosters and for Turk. The blood test one was more expensive and didn’t seem necessary since it was just more for fun for us! :)

• avatar Mayzie says:

Momma says she’s actually a teensy bit surprised that Turk has a pit bull breed in him. She always kinda thought maybe he was Lab/Jack Russell. She’s not terribly surprised abouts the beagle, though. She grew up with them and she says they’re awfully sweet.

Tell him that he belongs to a Most Elite club though – the Mutt Club. Some of my favoritest doggies — including ME — belong to it and we’re awfully glad to have him on board!

Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

• I thought Turk might have had some Border Collie in him, but I did expect him to be mostly mutt. I love his face in the “kinda” picture.

• avatar OhMelvin says:

I am shocked about the beagle part! But I love me a good ole mutt and that means I love me a Turkeyman!!!!!! You could have just shown a page of hearts and rainbows!

• avatar Kristin says:

I did DNA tests on my shelter pups – from two different companies on both my dogs just to see if they were similar. They were completely different. Only one breed made the mix from both companies for one of my pups. I suppose the blood test is more accurate. It was just for fun anyway!

• Mutts are the bestest… just ask Dottie! I’m starting to think I need to do a test on her to see what else is in there besides Lab.

• avatar peaceabull says:

Mutts Rock! We love the Turkey man in all of his Pit-Bull-kinda-ness.

• I’m completely thrown by Weimaraner, and beagle kind of makes sense. We actually think Miss M is part beagle. Maybe we should test her too…

Turkey-Man!! Wow, I am totally shocked with all of it. Beagle? Weimeraner? Shocked.

• avatar mytwopitties says:

I didn’t see the Beagle coming but that’s cool that he’s got a little pit in him! Kaya has the same amount;) Norman has the same amount am staff that he does Vizsla even though he doesn’t look like one, but I think it’s where he gets his sensitivities. The DNA tests are interesting because of the personality traits they explain!

• DNA tests are always so super interesting and it’s so fun to find out about ancestors! It’s like a surprise present! I have a blue paper that tells who my ancestors were so I don’t get to do a DNA test, but we sure like to read about other pups’ tests! Thanks for sharing this!

Luvs,