What is a Moby made of?

April 3rd, 2013 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Fostering. | Opt to Adopt | Pit Bull Pride | Polly Pocket | Rescues | Silliness | Smiling from ear-to-ear!

The time has come… Moby’s DNA results are in!

We’ve spent the past two months trying to figure out Moby’s breed makeup based on his most prominent features (even though appearance is only determined by a small percentage of genetic factors)…

The best we could figure was Moby was some sort of Great Dane mix… maybe Doberman… possibly lab? What I wasn’t expecting was this…

That’s right…. Moby is a “Whip-pit!”

I’ll be perfectly honest – I wasn’t expecting Moby to be 50% “pit bull” (Am Staffs are often lumped into the “pit bull” category). I expected he might be a small percentage of pittie, but after Polly’s DNA results came back, I have learned not to judge the book by it’s cover. In fact, the Wisdom Panel website states: “Physical appearance is largely controlled by a small number of genes. These genes can have both recessive and dominant variants and the variants that are present determine the visible effect on physical traits seen. As a result the presence of various breed signatures does not guarantee that the dog will look like all detected breeds – a wonder of genetic inheritance can be seen as much in people as in dogs.” So just because Moby is primarily a Whippit-Am. Staff mix does not mean he will display all of the dominant characteristics of those breeds… which might help to explain the craziness of the breeds that make up the “mixed breed” portion of his results…

Can you believe that big old Moby Wonderdog is a Whip-pit-bull-york-schauz-wolf-hund? It’s crazy… but considering Whippets, Am. Staffs, and Irish Wolfhounds are all generally considered good agility/lure course/fly ball dogs, it’s no wonder Moby is a whiz with the Chuck-it!

Although knowing Moby’s DNA results help to explain some of Moby’s behaviors and physical characteristics, we realize that Moby is first and foremost an individual and we will continue to treat him as such… although I won’t lie, I now enjoy commanding Moby to “crack that whip!” and “Whip-pit good!” to which he just gives me a giant whip-pit-ty smile…. but you can’t fault me for doing that, right?

* To adopt Moby “Whip-pit Good” Wonderdog, email me at {ourwaldobungie@gmail.com} *

• avatar Katie says:

Wow, I would never have guessed whippet! Every time I see one of these panels it tempts me yet again to test my pup– hubby thinks it’s a waste of money, but I think the entertainment value is priceless 😉

• avatar heatherkay says:

It might be a waste of money, in the sense that you don’t really need to know it, but it’s not a waste in the sense of it giving real results. I did my dog. They don’t collect any info about your dog other than its age, sex, and weight (I think to better market you). The results were remarkably accurate for my exceptionally mutt-y dog.

I just think it is absolutely fascinating. And DNA tests are accepted in some cities to allow dogs that might be considered “pit bulls” to live there, so they can’t be a total sham! 😉

• avatar peaceabull says:

Today’s earworm is brought to you by the fun folks at Our Waldo Bungie. I will be singing that all day long.

I think Moby is the first one of all of the dogs that I’ve read about that has so much AmStaff in him. I wonder how often “mixed breed*” means APBT?

• avatar OhMelvin says:

Love what did there with the song Em! I still think he is part pony!

• Just in case anyone does not have that song stuck now:

Crack that whip

Go forward
    Move ahead
    Try to detect it
    It’s not too late
    To whip it
    Whip it good

When a good time turns around
    You must whip it
    You will never live it down
    Unless you whip it

Try to detect it
    It’s not too late
    To whip it
    Well, whip it good

Read more: DEVO – WHIP IT LYRICS

• avatar Morgan says:

I would totally be singing “Whip it good!” at him too! I love that you are still going to treat him as an individual – precisely the way it should be! I’ve been really thinking about doing this too with my dogs; it’s just so much fun to read all the crazy “mixes” that are in there!

• avatar cafall says:

Tee-hee…. Whippet… 😀 I love how the results are always so surprising!

Sam

• I wouldn’t have guessed it, but I can see it now! And I know what I’ll be singing all day…(thanks everyone!)

• Omg…seriously! I love DNA tests just for amusement factor. He truly is a pit mix:D I guess he gets those ears from the mini bull terrier? I know he gets that smile from the am staff!

• avatar Mayzie says:

Heehee…Whip-Pit. Your fostermomma is FUNNY! That’s kinda cool that they are able to tell you what might be in your mixed breed grandpawrents. They weren’t able to do that when I got mine done. They just said I was 50% jumbled up and that was that. Maybe I can get momma to shell out some more green papers to find out! Nah. Prolly not.

By the way, you really do have the BESTEST smile in the whole wide world!

Wiggles & Wags
    Mayzie

• I never would have guessed Whippet!

• avatar Sarah says:

Hi Emily! Just hopped over from the KC Blogger website! The hubs and I are both from KC and our friends/family still live there. We miss it and hope to get back within a few years. Anyway, I wanted to find out what company you used for this DNA answer? We rescued two muts back in the day and I’d LOVE to know what they really are if it’s not too expensive! Email me when you get a sec, k?

Thanks!

• I never would have guessed that either!

• avatar Liliana says:

Interesting! I would not have guesses Whippet nor Yorkshire Terrier or Dachshund!

I love Moby’s ears!

More and more I want to get a DNA test for my pack :)