M-I-S-S YOU MUCH.

December 20th, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Bumming Out | Doggies! | Fostering. | Loss for words | Opt to Adopt | Overly dramatic | Polly Pocket | Super serious.

We have a tradition around Foster Home (borrowed from the lovely Aleks of Love and a Six-Foot Leash), to write a letter to each of our fosters after they go to live with their forever family. The words flowed easily  for our past fosters, but for some reason, writing Polly’s letter has been especially difficult for me.

Homegirl just got under. my. skin. She set up shop in my heart and I’ve had a hard time letting her go.

So I haven’t started it. I’m not ready to share that part of my heart with the world yet.
I want to savor what I had with Polly for a few days before I release it into the world…
before I start preparing my heart for the next foster.

Let me be perfectly clear – I am 100% sure that I picked the right home for Polly. I am thrilled at how much Polly has bonded to her new mama already. But while that makes it easier, it doesn’t make it easy.

This is the part of fostering that is tough… saying goodbye.

So please excuse my feeble attempts at expressing myself.
All eloquence goes out the window when I try to write through tears.

* Check back tomorrow for the Pittie Posse Secret Santa reveals – I promise I’ll have stopped crying by then…

• clearly it’s the eyebrows that make it hard to let her go. so freaking cute.

• aw! You did such a great job with her Emily, I don’t blame you for having a tough time. I love her Christmas pics :)

• avatar Liliana says:

I can imagine how hard it is to let them go, hence my failure with adoption out Shelby and Tommy. This is why we have five dogs, instead of three…Shelby bonded with Alli right away and then Tommy bonded with everyone, including me. When a serious adopter came along for him, I decided I could not let him go.

Polly is not only a sweet girl, but a secret agent as well! Kudos to you for being strong and finding her a good home, I sure wouldn’t have, and I’d be up to six dogs! =)

~L.

• My heart goes out to you! Take your time, but I cannot wait to read the words on your heart whenever you are able to share them. Thank you for what you do! xo

• I’ve never fostered a dog before so I don’t know what it’s like to feel both the joy and pain at seeing them move on to their forever homes but I do know this… when the time comes that I am able to foster a dog it’s because of the awesome work I’ve seen you and others do, you’ve inspired me to do more than what I have in the past with my volunteering.

• We have 2 fosters right now. One, while very sweet, I’m good with him going to a forever home. The other we have had since September and I am really pushing for us to adopt her. I can’t image parting with her. Just seeing the pictures of Polly and what you wrote I’m fighting back tears. I am trying to trust that she will end up where she needs to be…but I don’t want to let go. It’s good to hear I’m not the only one.

• avatar Married with Dawgs says:

Hugs! I know it’s so hard but I also know you know how worth it it all is. So proud of you guys for continuing to open your hearts & home!

• I feel ya girl…when Cooper gets adopted, you guys probably won’t even hear about it for a week before I can stop crying. Ya done good!!

• She was with you for quite awhile, and I know you did work so hard with her, it’s definitely expected that you will miss her a lot.
    Though…those photos are really great. Are you on your stomach taking them? Or a special lens?

• I am so proud of you Emily. Your heart is huge and I am very happy I have gotten to know you!!

• Those are great pictures. I am so happy for her that she found a great home, and it’s great that you’ll be able to save another one now. But I know it’s hard to let those special ones go. I still have a picture of Roxy, one of my favorite ever fosters, on my fireplace. I still think about her all the time. But I’m grateful she found a home and I was able to let her go so I could save others, and I’m grateful for the happy times we shared. The pictures and stories on your blog will help you remember her, and hopefully her new family will stay in touch!

• This is the toughest part of fostering, but it is wonderful that Polly Pocket found her perfect home. Soon enough there will be another dog’s antic’s to make you smile again!

Emily, you are such an amazing person and you open your heart and home to dogs in need. I am sure Polly will miss you as much as you miss her. You two bonded. I am still having a tough time about looking The Lou, I swear I still miss her face.

• I’ve got a favorite like that too. But the great part is that we still get to see them! They’re in a great home AND we still get to see them! What more could you ask for?

Being that I never met Polly and I’m crying I can just imagine how you feel. I think literally every other day I burst out with, “I miss Kylie” or Taylor or before we had her back, Madden, just because they’ll always be my kids and I’m always going to have moments that I miss their little faces.

• Awww, Emily! I can’t even imagine how you do it! I have so much respect for all you do. Thank you! xoxo

• I expect to write a post just like this next week. Anna and Polly seemed very similar, in that the both required a good amount of work, but in the process stole a big piece of our hearts. I am in denial that she is actually leaving Saturday. You did a great job with Polly and she’ll forever be grateful to you. I feel your pain and hope the tears stop eventually!

• avatar Kerin says:

Em, you’re not feeble, you’re very, very BRAVE. Hugs.much.

• avatar pitlandiapooch says:

=( =( =( Polly is such a special girl and she will always have a big place in your heart. I even have a place for Polly in my heart and I never even met the girl! She’s just that special! Thanks for introducing her to all of us who follow your blog. You truly showcased what an amazing dog she is and helped her to find the perfect forever home. You are an amazing dog mom/foster mom/friend/blogger and I look forward to reading Polly’s letter whenever your tears stop falling =)

Your love for her was evident in every word you’ve written about her up to this point and I have no doubt your letter to her will package that love up perfectly. Hugs!