Former Foster Update: Ginger Rogers

July 30th, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Bumming Out | Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers | Super serious.

Remember this pretty girl?

Ginger Rogers has been living the good life since January with her adoptive family – mom and dad Aaron & Jenny and fur-siblings Karma, Kali, and Princess. I have received updates from time-to-time from Jenny about Ginger’s antics, whether it was her over dramatic reactions to thunderstorms or her attempts to sneak extra food between meals.

Ginger’s life with Aaron & Jenny has been better than I could have ever hoped for her – I know she is greatly loved and given every amenity for a life of leisure. But unfortunately, her life has taken a serious turn recently. I got a text from Jenny on Friday alerting me that Ginger was diagnosed with advanced liver disease. In a panic, I googled “liver disease in dogs.” As I read the first few articles in the search results, tears began to well up in my eyes. Liver disease is painful and difficult to treat after a certain point. Aaron told me that they wouldn’t have even known something was wrong if it hadn’t been for Ginger not eating.

A trip to the vet revealed liver disease, and Ginger was whisked away to an isolation unit in case it was caused by leptospira. She is being released back to Aaron & Jenny today to be treated at home. The vet gave her a 50/50 chance of survival, but Aaron & Jenny are remaining positive that Ginger can make it through this. Can you please leave a note of encouragement to Aaron, Jenny, and Ginger to let them know you are thinking of them? It would mean a lot to know that our community, who has known Ginger for a year now, is thinking of them!

• avatar llwvrt says:

In my prayers- rooting for Ginger Rogers and the positive power of love!

• avatar Jenny Chronister says:

Thank you Emily. I will update as soon as we get word today. It is especially important that we send positive coming home vibes to Ginger today as there are storms in the forecast and I can’t face having her isolated to deal with it alone.

• avatar Debra says:

Big tears of empathy welling up in my eyes as I read about your beautiful Ginger’s diagnosis. I will be praying for you guys & the Vet as she is treated at home. Your Ginger is a blessed fur baby with parents who love her & care for her. Love her up & hold her close as you walk with her through this & may she be one of the 50% who overcome. ((((hugs)))) ** we have walked with our dear fur baby Liza who had lupus & at the age of 15 was diagnosed with advanced mast cell sarcoma ~ she succumbed to the cancer in mid May :'(

• avatar Kathy says:

I’m so sorry you lost your beloved Liza, Debra. Our dear fur babies leave their paw prints all over our hearts, don’t they? Big hugs to you!

• avatar Pat in Easley, SC says:

Aaron & Jenny – wishing you the best of luck in getting Ginger healthy again. She is just precious and so lucky to have found her forever family. Let us know if there’s a chipin to help fund Ginger’s care. Meanwhile, please give Ginger kisses (lots of kisses) from her fans!!

• We’re all pulling for you and your people, Miss Ginger! You’ve got tons of love and support from the blogosphere behind you, you’re a tough broad, we know you’ll make it through this and be back to your old self in no time. Hugs & puppy kisses!

• avatar Rachael says:

That’s terribly sad! Clay had leptospirosis once after visiting a dog park. It seems awfully bothersome and he was fortunate to make a full recovery. Hoping the same for Ginger!

Oh sweet Ginger, hang in there gorgeous girl!

And to Jenny and Aaron, I know this is hard to go through, just show her how much you love her and let her know the rest of us do too.

• Our thoughts and healing vibes go out to Ginger and her family. We will keep you close to our heart.

• avatar Cori says:

Aaron and Jenny, Ginger is soooo lucky to have found her forever home with you. Wishing you all the best in this very difficult time. Ginger won over our hearts and she is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. And to ditto Pat’s comment, let us know if there is a chipin fund to help for her care.

• avatar Kathy says:

This news breaks my heart. I can only imagine how much harder it is for Aaron and Jenny. My thoughts and prayers are with them and precious Ginger Rogers. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery.

• Sending lots of hugs and power of the paw to Ginger, Aaron, and Jenny. I can’t believe something like this is happening to Ginger, just when she had finally gotten her happy ending. Praying she can pull through this.

• Thinking of you guys! Stay strong Ginger!

• This news is the most unwelcome kind. We’ll not give up though……Ginger has been defeating the odds her entire life, I’m not about to change my mind that she will continue to do so!! Much love and concern being sent your direction as Ginger makes her recovery. Thank you for letting us know so that we can all work on Ginger’s behalf.

No matter what happens, enjoy this life! Take deep cleansing breaths. There will be fear and worry but make time for fun and zoomies. Melvin and I will pray for only good to come Ginger’s way (that prayer found her a furever home)! We have faith she is the good side of the 50%.

• My heart sank when I saw this. Ginger, the whole Wayward pack is pulling for you.

• OMG My heart just welled up in my throat..as I am a huge follower of Ginger’s journey from the get-go….What a beautiful strong girl she is and she will persevere!!!! My pup Beauty and I who love reading about Ginger and her updates are praying for her safe recovery ♥

• Stay strong, Ginger! You have so many people that adore you and we are all rooting for you to come out of this a healthy and happy dog. You can beat this, little lady!

• avatar Two Grads says:

WeWe love you Ginger!

• avatar Mayzie says:

Oh, my heart aches for them. I know how scared they must be. But I am sending thoughts and prayers their way that with their help and love, Ginger will come through this with flying colors.

Hugs,
    Amber

• oh, my heart is breaking for all of you! it is so awful to watch our pets suffer, when there is so little we can do about it! my prayers are with you all and ginger.

just remember, pitties have an amazing way of beating the odds. they don’t know they odds, and they are uncomplaining, unrelenting fighters for life and love!

we adopted Pebbles at the beginning of may 2012. when we got her, we knew she had survived parvo (though her sister did not). what we found out is that she had also survived distemper, as we watched her develop the tell-tale tics that mark most survivors! how could this little dog, treated so horribly for the first 3 months of her little life have survived both of these deadly illnesses? of course, the excellent care of Treat ‘Em Right Rescue and her foster parents are HUGE contributors.

but her sweet, indomitable little spirit is no doubt the biggest part.

“Never, never, never give up.” — Winston Churchill

• avatar Jenny Chronister says:

Our prayers have been answered! Miss Ginger is still very ill, but the vet expects a full recovery! She can’t come home just yet, but Aaron and I went by and snuggled her for a bit and she was happy to see us, and wanted to come home, but Dr Deutch showed her a treat and she happily decided that she could stay a little longer just to make sure she doesn’t expose her sisters or us to anything. Thank you SO much for your prayers and thoughts!

• avatar Debra says:

I am so happy tears again :’) Please keep us posted & we’ll continue to pray for you & beautiful Ginger (((((hugs)))))

• avatar Sam says:

We are keeping Ginger in our prayers and sending lots of hugs and love to you!

Sam

If anyone knows how to beat the odds, it’s Ginger Rogers! We’ll keep her and her family in our thoughts.

• avatar Kirsten says:

Yay for Jenny’s update–that is such great news! Lots of love and hugs to her and warmth and support to her wonderful adopters!

• I am so happy to hear Ginger Rodgers is on the road to recovery. Ginger Rodgers is a lucky girl to have such caring parents and Arron & Jenny are lucky to have such a great dog as Ginger Rodgers!
    As a person who almost died from liver disease myself i can’t stress enough to make sure your pets are given the LEPTO shot. It is a once a year shot and so very important to your health and your pets health. I also must state I would not have gotten threw that terrible time if it were not for my BabyGirl and Felix (RIP) . Happy Dance Ginger Rodgers is getting better!

• Wonderful to hear the Ginger is on the road to recovery. I am sitting here with legs, toes and fingers crossed (makes it a little hard to type though) that Aaron and Jenny have their gorgeous girl at home soon and is making her usual attempts to snack between meals.

Best wishes and lots of hugs Ginger!

• Aw, sweet sweet baby. I’m glad she has a wonderful home, but am sad that she’s facing uncertain health issues. I also am a huge animal lover and do a lot of volunteer work and have fostered. It’s true that you love those critters as your own. Many hugs and prayers that she can make a recovery.

• avatar Belloroy says: