Polly Pocket: Life at Foster House

July 2nd, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Blog Love | Doggies! | Fostering. | Irrational Fears | Opt to Adopt | Overly dramatic | Polly Pocket

Hey there! My name is Polly Pocket and I am in the HOUSE!

I’ve been with my foster family for about a week now and I am learning so much about being a part of a family. First things first – I got my very own Sirius Republic “Lily” collar with hot pink fleece lining. I look pretty cute, huh?

I am still getting to know my foster siblings. Rufus and I are able to hang outside together but Turk and I have only been able to see each other from afar.

From what I hear, he is not a huge fan of me or any other fosters. Maybe I’ll be able to change his mind eventually?

When I first came to live here, I was so scared of everything that I would cry and cry every time Foster Mama left my sight. I didn’t like to go outside alone and I refused to eat my food if Foster Mama didn’t sit with me the whole time. If anyone tried to touch me, I would flatten to the floor or try to run away because I wasn’t sure if I could trust these people yet. Needless to say, I was a mess.

But Foster Mama did some research on fearful dogs and found out that it was best to let me come out of my shell on my own terms and not try to force it. That was a pretty smart move, because once I was here for a couple of days, I realized how awesome Foster Mama and Foster Dad really are! They give me hot dogs when I “sit” my bottom on the ground, go potty outside, or when I go into the crate on my own. They even let me snooze on my very own Molly Mutt bed!

I’m not gonna lie though – things aren’t all perfect at Foster House. Foster Mama and Dad abandon leave me sometimes and I get worried that they are never going to come back. The worst part though, is that when they do abandon leave me, they put me in a crate. I hate crates so much. I tried to explain to them how much I hated crates the first time the put me in one…

But wouldn’t you know it, the bent wires and shredded bedding didn’t deter them! So the next time, I had to get a little more drastic so they would finally understand…

I overheard Foster Mama telling Foster Dad that she is frustrated, but not deterred. She asked her friend Aleks for advice on how to handle my “sep-ur-ation anxiety” and Aleks told her that my problem isn’t actually “sep-ur-ation anxiety” at all, but more of a hardcore hissy fit. How dare she say that! I wouldn’t never throw a hissy fit…unless, of course, that hissy fit resulted in the return of my dearest foster parents from wherever they disappear off to from time-to-time.

So Aleks gave Foster Mama some tips to make me love tolerate my crate, like feeding me exclusively from Kongs inside my crate, leaving me a piece of their clothing so I can smell them while they are gone, and playing a recording of their voices (or the radio or whatever) on repeat so I can hear voices in the house when they are away. I’ll admit, I’m not sold on the whole “crate” or “foster parents abandoning me every day for something called ‘work'” thing yet.

But I’m willing to work on it… they did spring me from the slammer so I owe them that much, right?

• What a sweetheart you are Polly. I am a sucker for the wrinkled forehead and white chest!

• Hang in there, Polly! Life is going to just keep getting better for you.

• What a lovely lady you are, Polly Pocket. I’m sure Foster Mom and Dad will get you off to the best start possible and find you an awesome home.

• avatar Allie says:

Awwww, I love her! She adorable.

That last photo kills me with adoraBULLness! Polly, remind your foster momma to take deep cleansing breaths and remind foster dad to buy wine. I have faith this will resolve.

I will do that – thanks, Tracey! I also just told Foster Mama to bill me for the various damage I invoke. Surely I’ll be adopted by a wealthy benefactor, right?!

• Aww, I love the Lily on her, so cute! Congratulations for hanging in there with the crate training, we finally gave up on Cooper, sometimes I wish we had stuck with it but he seems to be doing fine now on his own. I second the WINE comment! :-)

• Hang in there and good work, Emily! And man, that polly is a cuuuuuutie!!!!

• She is super-cute, and it sounds like you are doing great work with her. I’m excited to see how she continues to progress. We used to do the voice recording thing with Mr. B. too, though it was eerie for us to come home to hear ‘someone talking’ in our house. Looking forward to more photos!

• avatar Married with Dawgs says:

Hurley has hissy fits too. Like when one of his siblings gets to go on a walk and he doesn’t. We feel your pain! Hopefully she’ll learn to love her crate & alone time soon!

• avatar zoki says:

She’s a cutie!

• avatar The Perfectly Imperfect One says:

Keep it up, she will get used to it. Good work!

• awwwww! i love her little wrinkly forehead.

how do tie downs work for her? i’m having to do it for the very first time with a standard poodle/terrier mix and I have to say – I LOVE IT!

The tiedowns work great for her. She is learning to calm herself down and just be chill instead of getting into everything. They are a lifesaver – especially because Turk isn’t comfortable sharing his space and gets growly if she is just roaming free.

• avatar Harper says:

Polly Pocket is soo adorable, I can’t stand it. I love the collar and Molly Mutt bed. Can’t wait to hear more updates… you guys are doing such great things!

• Polly, you are a cutie … and your new collar looks great! I am sure if you give it time, you’ll learn that crates can be fun places where good things happen to you. Like hotdogs!

• What a great post, Emily..err, Polly. Polly is just too too cute! I keep showing Kevin photos of her and we’re both pretty smitten. I hadn’t realized she was so fearful when you first brought her home… it sounds like you’ve come a long way! And I really like the tie-down idea. I think that’s the route we’d (will) go when we can foster because Miss Zoe doesn’t like to share her space. Yesterday when Mr. B and Miss M invited her over, Zoe was great until she decided that the space underneath the table was “hers.” She had to go into time out because she was guarding it. Fortunately, Mr. B, Miss M, and their parents were great sports!