Introducing Polly Pocket (Pittie)!

June 25th, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Jr. | Ginger Rogers | Opt to Adopt | Pit Bull Pride | Polly Pocket | Rescues | Volunteering

After a two month hiatus, we’ve finally brought home a new foster! Meet Polly Pocket (Pittie)…

This sweet girl was set to be euthanized at the shelter after just two weeks due to an injury to her back leg. I have a thing for redheads (see Ginger Rogers and Ginger Jr), so I couldn’t let Miss Polly meet that fate. I brought her home on Thursday after her spay surgery, and lucky for her, the very next day was National Take Your Dog to Work Day! She was a doll at the office I’ve been working at part-time since finishing grad school – just curling up on her Molly Mutt bed and napping overseeing my work. She even assisted my boss with finishing his breakfast sandwich answering his emails. One thing Polly Pocket would not do though? Helping me do paperwork. Polly Pocket does not collate.

We are still learning about her, but so far we have figured out a few of her likes and dislikes…

LIKES:

1. Pretending to be your shadow (“oh, don’t mind me – just following you into the bathroom!”).
  2. Staring at you with her gigantic eyes that bore right into your soul.
  3. Giving you a big, pittie smile when you call her “Polly wanna cracker” or “Pockets.”

DISLIKES:

1. You leaving her sight – even if it’s just to run to another room for just a second.
  2. You watching her as she enters the house from the backyard. She will wait on the deck until we turn around before she comes inside.
  3. Being left alone. Ever. This girl has some crazy separation anxiety. To give you an idea of how bad it is, check out the damage she did to her crate after being left alone for a few hours on Saturday. And no, the crate’s wires are not supposed to bend like that.

We’ve dealt with separation anxiety before with Ginger Rogers, but Polly’s case appears to be way more severe than that. We’ll do a post soon about the different things we’re doing to help ease Polly’s anxiety and prepare her for her future forever home. We’re very excited to show her what it’s like to feel safe and be a beloved family member. It’s feels good to be back in the (fostering) saddle!

Polly Pocket will be available in the next few weeks through Heart of America Humane Society – stay tuned!

• Polly is a total sweetheart! The right person is going to end up adored forever by this dog.

• avatar Allie says:

So happy to hear you’re back in fostering! Polly is a-DO-rable! I’m looking forward to reading about her (and your) adventures.

She’s a gorgeous girl with some serious separation anxiety. Hopefully she’ll realize that she’s in a safe place and start to relax some.

• avatar Harper says:

Welcome back to fostering! If anyone, you guys will be able to help Polly overcome her anxiety issues :) I look forward to reading more about her.

• Wow, she looks so sweet, I just want to squeeze the stuffin’ out of her. I’m looking forward to her journey with you to find her forever home.

• She is very cute! I like her mask-like eyes.

• I also have a thing for redheads! She is gorgeous. Can’t wait to hear more about her!

• OK, first of all – SO CUTE! I can’t wait to hear more about her. And second – *sigh* separation anxiety…we went through MONTHS of working with Cooper on that. It’s tough, but hang in there – because it’ll be so worth it in the end when she overcomes her fears! Good luck to you. And at least your crate contained Polly, Cooper was quite the escape artist! :-)

• She is too precious! Congrats and great work!

Wooohoooooo!!!!!! Jackpot for everyone! She is lovely and she’s about to find out what love is all about. Congratulations on the new foster family memeber! Looking forward to the updates.

• avatar Sam says:

How badly was (is?) her leg injured? She looks like such a sweetheart – I’m glad you rescued her.

Sam

They think it could possibly be a torn ACL….maybe just a pulled muscle. We won’t know for sure until we have her vet visit (which will be in about 10 days when we get her spay stitches removed).

Sam – we don’t know how badly it’s injured yet. It could be as mild as a pulled muscle or as serious as a torn ACL. We’re taking her to the vet in 10 days to get her stitches from the spay surgery removed. We’ll have them re-evaluate her leg then as well. Paws crossed it’s a mild injury!

• Polly is precious and we are sure that with your help she will make great strides in overcoming her separation anxiety and find a wonderful home!

• avatar Cori says:

She’s so cute (and I love her name). Can’t wait to hear more about her. What do the boys think of her???

• avatar Kathy says:

WOW! Based on the look of that crate she has some wicked separation anxiety! I know your patience and love will make all the difference in her world and with her fears. Looking forward to hearing about your life with Miss Polly Pocket.

• Welcome, you cute little lady! Oh separation anxiety is never any fun for anyone :/ Good luck in your quest to help her with this!

• She’s adorable! I can’t wait to hear more about and see her blossom.

She’s super beautiful! I did that to my crate when I was younger… I went through a random 2 week period where I was afraid to be left alone, then POOF, I was fine again.
    -Corbin

• How did she bend crate’s wires like this? She was working really hard to get out.
    Leave treats in her crate, and keep adding during day. Don’t close door too soon. During first week Yogi shredded two beds, when left alone in his crate, but now he is fine. When I leaving him at home in his crate I am turning on radio :)
    She is beautiful, already got my heart :). I love her name too

Thanks for the advice Iwona! She is slowly but surely getting better about her crate. We’ve started feeding her in there so she can associate good things with it. Hopefully in a few weeks this will all just be a funny memory and she will be a confident, quiet girl!

• She is SOOOO cute!!!! I love the white patch on her chest and her sweet face! But man…I’ve never seen a dog with anxiety like that! Poor girl. Can’t wait to hear more about how you’re managing it.

• avatar Kari says:

What a luck girl she is. I hope you are able to work through the separation anxiety

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari

• Midnight has the same problem and what my sister suggested to me was wear a old shirt for a day don’t wash it and put it in her create . She says it brings them comfort to be able to smell you when you are not there. I did it and it does calm down Midnight. I have no problem putting her in create any more. Actually she opens the door and goes in on her own now. Also I made the create a safe place for her. I would keep the door open so she could go in and out I got her to do that by putting raw hide chips in create and a few choice toys. She could lay down enjoy her chew and toys come out when she wanted to. I made the create a place that is not just a place to go to when I leave. It is her spot and she knows it!

• Ohh and I forgot to say that Polly Pocket looks like the red fur version of Midnight. Midnight is also a pocket pit.

• avatar Kirsten says:

Oh what a sweetie! I’m so glad you have her. I’ll be checking out what you have to say about the crate…I feel like an absolute monster leaving Pager in there, she hates it so much! I am about ready to risk just leaving her out of the crate. But I like sassybrat’s suggestion–and I know we need to work on it more! I hope Polly’s crate aversion and anxiety improve! What a cutie! Is she a teeny tiny pocket pittie?

• Polly Pocket is GORGEOUS!!!! Congrats. I hope that she didn’t injure herself trying to get out of her crate.

• Oh little Pockets! She’s so adorable! Can’t wait to hear more about her progress!