Good and Not So Good

April 10th, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Bumming Out | Doggies! | Goal Setting

The last 24 hours have been filled with some good stuff and some not-so-good stuff.

For example, we found and purchased a nearly new Ashley Furniture sofa from Habitat Restore for less than $100. Pretty good, right?

The color brings out the gold flecks in Turk’s chocolate-y eyes…which is also good.

And the couch pillows form a nice crook for Turk to nestle into…again, very good (for him).

The not-so-good? We can’t sell our old couch and loveseat…we’ll probably just have to list it in the free section on Craigslist unless we want it taking up the rest of our living room for all eternity.

Another not-so-good thing? I defended my thesis and it was accepted, but with reservations. The “with reservations” part means I need to do some more work on it before it will be officially approved and sent on to the graduate school to fulfill that portion of my degree requirements. Keep in mind, I am less than three weeks from graduation, so the thought of doing MORE work is not super high on my list of “stuff I am psyched to do.”

The good part of it? Well, that would be the sweet bouquet of flowers and yummy chocolate treat that Daniel surprised me with as a “Congrats on Defending Your Thesis” present. He really is the best…

Another not-so-good thing is that a job opening I was really excited about was filled before I even had a chance to interview. I was pretty bummed about it, but I have decided to look at it as a good thing because it means that it wasn’t the right job for me. The not-so-good thing is that I am now officially on the job hunt, which is my least favorite kind of hunting (and I absolutely hate all forms of hunting). But again, I am going to choose to look at the bright side of this, which is that I can officially open up the ENTIRE UNITED STATES for my job search because there is nothing really tying us down to Kansas City anymore. And the job market within the entire U.S. (and U.S. territories…and other countries if they will let me bring my dogs) has got to be bigger than just the Kansas City metro area, right? So yes, job hunting is not fun, but I will look on the bright side of it.

Oh, and one more GOOD thing to end on…Daniel and I were finally able to visit the National World War 1 Museum and the Liberty Memorial over Easter weekend. They were both on our “Kansas City Bucket List” and we were excited to cross them off. If you are ever in Kansas City, I highly suggest visited the WWI Museum, it was phenomenal!

What about you? Have you had to turn any not-so-good news into good news by changing your perspective, or am I just ridiculously upbeat?

• avatar Two Grads says:

Im sorry about your thesis – but having a supporting husband and dogs and a new couch have got to help. And im right there with ya on the job hunt…

I was told after the fact that it is pretty normal to be told that you need to change some things on your thesis before it will be approved, but when I am this close to graduating, as I am sure you can attest, any added work means added stress and I am filled to the brim with that right now! The changes were really only “we want to hear MORE about this or this,” not “this whole thing is terrible,” so I should probably be looking at this one as more of a positive thing than I am right now. And I don’t have to re-defend, so really, that’s a positive, too! :)

• avatar Debra says:

I’m sure this is all a part of “everything happens for a reason.” Sounds like the comments on the thesis are not too brutal and the hubby came through in awesome fashion. I recently interviewed for a new job which I didn’t get but am working to see it in a positive light. Head up and carry on! :-)

Selfishly I am excited that you aren’t staying in Kansas City because now you can move to Chicago and we can hang out (also I can finally have Rufus). The Thesis, you got this Emily, you are in the home strech. Knock it out and getter done!

• avatar Lacy says:

I absolutely love the memorial tower. It is one of my very favorite places to be in KC. I think the view of the city is just beautiful. As far as your thesis goes, you’ve come this far, don’t lose sight of your end goal. As far as the job hunt goes,it totally sucks. When I lost my job at Famers, I applied for EVERY insurance job on the market. I had FIVE years experience and a bachelors…and I’d get an email thanking me for my application and then two days later get one telling me the job was filled. I was like, “SERIOUSLY?!? I am more than qualified!” But, eventually I found something, which I turned out to somewhat hate, however it led me to becoming motivated to FINALLY find a way out of KC and now (as you know) I will be teaching, which truly has been my passion ever since my freshman year of college. All of this to say, take this as an opportunity to GET THE HECK outta KS :) Be patient, don’t get discouraged as you get more emails saying “sorry but we filled the position” because you will get a few emails or phone calls that say “congrats, we’d like to invite you to take some assessement, complete a phone interivew, etc.” and then you will want to immediately go find the nearest cupcake shop to celebrate just getting invited for a phone interivew! Then one day, you will get the call that says “Emily, we’d like to invite you to work for us, in PORTLAND, OR” then you will scream and get super excited. Then a few weeks later you will be lying in bed and start thinking “oh crap, I’m moving my entire life in a few weeks….which will quikly be replaced by a smile.”

The end.

• avatar Kate B. says:

Congrats on the new couch and defending your thesis! Think of it this way- you’re ALMOST DONE!
    I’m happy you look at it as it “not-the-right-job”- thats a great mindset.
    If you can’t sell the couch on craigslist, try sales pages on Facebook- I’ve had much better luck on them.

• Yay for an awesome new sofa! :) Boo for more work :( You are so close to the end though! That has to feel pretty awesome! Job hunting is no fun, but at least you have the opportunity to look anywhere. I am a fan of the east coast šŸ˜‰

• So I have a friend whose been working on her doctorate thesis, not kidding, since I’ve known her, otherwise known as 8 years. You are a thesis producing rock star in comparison! GO YOU!! Great job! I know you’ve worked hard and you deserve a HUGE pat on the back and a nice tasty cocktail.

Love the sofa and good luck on the job search. The right job will come along, I know it!!

• avatar Kari says:

I am sure you can knock it out!

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    dogisgodinreverse.com

• I’ve never been to grad school, but “defending your thesis” sounds terrifying (I imagine a dimly-lit room where old men yell at you, like a police interrogation). So congratulations!

And as cheesy as it sounds, moving helped me learn that who I’m with is more important than where I am. Good luck on your job hunt!

• avatar Cori says:

I love your new couch! What a great find. You could always donate your other couches…sometimes transitional housing programs will take furniture to give to residents when they find an apt. Just a thought from your social work-y friend :)

Someday, our paths will cross (in person) again. Maybe in Chicago this summer? Then we can swap the horror/stressful/tearful stories from grad school and job hunting…while drinking, of course.

• Good luck in your job search! It’s exciting to think about moving to a new place!

The couch is awesome and love the price! Many places like Amvets will pick up furniture donations from you. That sucks on the ‘more work’ but you can do this, you can do this, you can do this! Lastly, on the job front, what type of job are you looking for?

• avatar Anne says:

1. Thesis is nearly completed! You can do it. Only 3 more weeks and you can cross it completely off your list. I get that it kinda stinks to feel like you’re done and not actually BE done. Daniel’s choice in thesis flowers was excellent.
    2. Meeeeeemoriiiiiiiiiiies with the old couch, but I like the new one! Can’t beat the price, either. Maybe you can put up a sign at MNU that anyone moving into a new apt for the summer who needs couches can have them for the haul away?
    3. I have absolutely now doubt that God has the right job for you, and obviously the other one wasn’t it. Job hunting is the pits, but at the end of it is a job. The wide-open feeling is kind of scary and freeing all at the same time, right? I mean, there’s always Central America . . .