Goodbye, Napoleon.

January 5th, 2012 | Posted by Emily in Bumming Out | Doggies! | Super serious.

My mom’s dog, Napoleon, died early this morning.

My parents are still in California and won’t be able to collect his ashes until they return to Nebraska. We are all very distraught. It happened very suddenly and a lot of “what ifs” are going through my mom’s head right now. Napoleon became her “baby” after her youngest (me) left for college. He has been her baby for the last 10 years and by all accounts, he should have been with her for years to come. She is overcome with sadness. I honestly don’t even know what to say here but I’m going to take tomorrow off blogging so I can have a couple of days to deal with saying goodbye. If you don’t mind, please leave a comment with some words of encouragement for my mom.

Thanks.

• avatar Aleksandra says:

Oh Napoleon, you left this world too young. I hope that over time, your mom’s heart can heal and she can take comfort in knowing that you went out in the best way possible — switfly, without a lot of drawn-out pain, and enveloped in tons of love. It may not feel this way now, but there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Hugs to you all.

• Oh Emily, I am so, SO sorry. Losing a pet is so much harder than it sounds. They aren’t pets, they become family. You and your mom will be in my prayers. RIP sweet Napoleon. :-(

• avatar woofssi says:

So sorry and am definitely keep you and your parents in our thoughts! Lots of extra doggies kisses and snuggles from our pack to you and yours!

• avatar Tamela says:

RIP Sweet Napoleon. Your family now has a new doggy angel watching over them.

• So sad to hear the news. I’ll be praying for you and your sweet mum.

• I’m sorry to hear about Napoleon. I took care of him a few times at the vet’s office and he was a sweet dog. Hope you and your mom find comfort and peace. I’m positive all dogs go to heaven.

• I’m so sorry! May Napoleon rest in peace, wearing his favorite sweater, watching down on your family with love. May you take comfort in his memories and find peace knowing he’ll always be in your hearts. Much love to you and yours!

• avatar Lindsay mihalcik says:

Im so sorry to hear about Napoleon. I hope the good memories you have of him
    Help you through this hard time.

• avatar Lindsay mihalcik says:

Im so sorry to hear about Napoleon. I hope the good memories you have of him
    Help you through this hard time.

I am so sorry to hear about Napoleon’s passing. Nina, my parents dog passed last year at 17, my dad couldn’t even say her name without crying for about a month. I am not sure what’s harder, seeing my parents grieve or the loss of Nina. My thoughts are with your mom. Sending her lots of love from Chicago.

• avatar Laurie says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Napoleon, and my heart goes out to your mom, you and your family. It’s so incredibly hard to have to say goodbye to a beloved pet, I’m sure Napoleon knows how much he is was and is still loved.

• avatar Laurie says:

• Oh Emily, I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. There are few things harder than this, and you all are in my thoughts. Lots of doggie kisses and hugs from Chicago!

• avatar rottrover says:

Oh Emily! I’m so sorry this happened – especially when your parents are in such a transition in their lives. Words are never sufficient to express the condolences one feels at a time like this. Please know that your mom is in my thoughts…

• avatar rottrover says:

• There is nothing I dread more than to read this type of header on one of my beloved blogs. When I see it my heart aches before I even read any further. I am so sorry for your loss, I hurt for you Emily but especially for your sweet Mom. How hard that would be to have that happen when you are away and there is nothing that you can do but grieve from a distance. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers. I know you are felling only hurt right now but time will bring the happy thoughts of Napoleon back. RIP sweet boy. Diane

• avatar Cori says:

Love and hugs to you and your family.

• avatar Elisa says:

I’m so sorry Emily – it’s so much harder when it’s sudden. Olive and June send their Brittany love to your mom and family.

• So sorry to hear about Napoleon.

• avatar jen says:

that is a photo of a much loved pup. i hope you and your family find comfort in knowing how lucky napoleon was to be a part of your family.

• avatar Kate B says:

Give your mom my condolences. Losing a family member (my dogs are my family) is so tough. Napoleon is looking down from over the Rainbow Bridge, Dog Heaven, wanting his people to not be sad, but remember the happy times and smile.
    My thoughts go out to your family.

• avatar Kari says:

Rest in peace sweet Napoleon

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari

• avatar Kari says:

Rest in peace sweet Napoleon

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari

• avatar Kathy says:

I feel your heartbreak and am so sad for you and your mom. It’s always hard when we lose a part of our family, but even more so when there’s no warning. They always take a part of our heart with them.

• avatar Kathy says:

• avatar jacquelincangro says:

I know that words can’t really do justice to what she must be feeling, but I hope you and your mom finds some solace in the warm and loving vibes being sent through the blogosphere. Napoleon was a gift – a shining light. He may have crossed rainbow bridge but he will be in your hearts forever.

• avatar jacquelincangro says:

• I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. The presence pets have in our lives is so wonderful, it’s never easy when they are gone. My heart goes out to you both.

• I am heartbroken for your mom. There is no love like the love we have for our pets. And the love they return to us is ten fold. My prayers, sympathies, thoughts…all are with your mamma.

• So sorry to hear this. It really is hard to know what to say when something like this happens so suddenly. We’re thinking of you guys!

• avatar Two Grads says:

Theres never a right thing to say when something as sad as this happens. I know your mom is amazing as you are, our hearts and thoughts are with you.

• avatar Two Grads says:

• avatar daisydog says:

Our Sympathies. It is so hard to lose a pet, yet being far away when it happens must be heartbreaking.

• avatar daisydog says:

• avatar claudia says:

Hugs and sympathy from Lola, Franklin and me.

• avatar Pat Fitzpatrick says:

I know all too well how your mom feels. I lost my Corgi, Norman, on August 8 and I still mourn for him. I rescued him when he was 7; he didn’t live to see his 11th year. I take a lot of solace knowing that I gave Norman a very good life – he knew love and warmth and learned to trust. Your mom will have a hole in her heart for some time to come….I hope she can look back at her time with Napolean with smiles and not tears. Big hugs to you, your mom and the rest of your family. So sorry!

• OMG my heart just sank when I began reading this post on my phone today on break at work…I love tuning into your posts and particularly enjoy how I feel as though I know your whole family and truly appreicate all you share with us….There are absolutely no words that can help her grief, and over time she will smile at all the cute, funny moments with Napoleon and her face and heart will warm over with the love she was able to give Napoleon to enjoy a great life. Hugs ♥

I was once told that grief is the price we pay for loving well. I try to always remember the pain is worth it to have had the love, even when the circumstances are so sudden and unfair.

They are our family. Our everyday. Thinking of you and your family as you go through the next days and weeks. Napoleon was blessed to have you all love him.

• What sad news. We never know when the end will come for our loved ones, but it is clear that Napoleon was so loved during his life. I can only hope his memory will give you and your family comfort and joy, not sorrow. We’ll be thinking of you!

• avatar Kirsten says:

Lots of hugs to your mom and you and all you good people and dogs who are dealing with such a sad loss. Napoleon had a sweet life here and you should all take some comfort in knowing what you gave him and got to share with him. He is now shining joyfully with the buddhas and bodhisattvas. 10 years is a good run for a dog but at any age it is too soon.

• avatar Kirsten says:

• I’m so, so sorry to hear that, what a void he’ll leave in your family.

• I’m so, so sorry to hear that, what a void he’ll leave in your family.

• avatar Juliana says:

An angel went back to heaven! RIP Napoleon. So sorry for your family’s loss Em :(

• Emily I am so sorry for your family loss, May Napoleon Rest in Peace .
    Your Mom gave him a happy life and made him a part of your family and I hope you remember all the happy times your family has had because he was a part of you life.

• I’m so sorry to hear this. I dread this day for my cats. I hope your family gets some comfort in each otherl

• avatar Rachel says:

I am so sorry for your family’s loss. I know there aren’t words but my thoughts are with you.

• I’m so sorry to hear of Napoleon’s passing.