Feeling Nostalgic.

December 14th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Goal Setting | Nostalgia | Rufus

I saw an old friend yesterday whose dog is seriously ill… my heart broke to hear what she’s been going through, and it got me thinking of how quickly time flies when you have a dog…which got me thinking… I can’t believe that Rufus is almost seven years old! It seems like only yesterday I was holding him for the first time…this little 8 week old chihuahua who fit in the palm of my hand.

He was the first dog that was 100% mine. I got him my junior year after a traumatic breakup. I thought getting a dog would help me feel better. I mean, how could this face not make someone feel better?

Rufus turned out to be a huge learning experience…I learned about the doggy doorbell after constantly cleaning up pee on the carpet the first week he lived with me. I learned that dogs can get separation anxiety (and met several of my neighbors in the process when they complained about the constant howling). I learned that Rufus does not like sleeping in a crate (or a cardboard box), and it was a terrible idea to let Rufus sleep in bed with me (since nearly seven years later, he still does).

Most of all, I learned what “dog is man’s best friend” means. Rufus was my best bud…he went with me to school and slept in my purse while I was in class. He snuggled with me on the couch while I watched TV. He charmed every single person he met. Most of all, he taught me how to be a responsible adult and helped to mend my broken heart.

Sometimes I spend so much time focusing on the day-to-day stuff that I forget to just stop and enjoy the here-and-now. I forget to live in the moment. I forget to just stop and cuddle Rufus…and Turk…and Ginger. I am going to make it my goal, as of today, to really enjoy the time I have with my dogs…because time flies, and before you know it your 8 week old puppy is a seven year old pooch…and that is totally okay.

Have you snuggled your pet today?

• avatar Cori says:

Oh my goodness. I forgot how adorable Rufus was as a pup. But this made me feel soooo old, since I remember when you first got him (and many of the ups and downs in the beginning).

• avatar Two Grads says:

Aw what a wonderful post, tears!

• Emily, I LOVE this post!! I have a friend who’s going through something similar with their elder-dog, he’s got stage 4 cancer and is now completely blind. I was just looking at Oscar and Kaylee last night and thinking to myself, MAN I love my dogs! So true, time goes so fast! Thank you so much for posting this!

• omg he was such a cute puppy!! I’m glad he helped you get through a tough time.

Since Molly died and we got Nemo’s diagnosis, we’ve become keenly aware of how fleeting our time with our pets is. I try to appreciate them and each moment I get with them even more. I think it’s really helped me cherish the everyday routines more… and a side benefit for the dogs is that they’re a little more spoiled than ever, haha 😉

What a great post. I sometimes forget to stop and just love Pug. He can be SO frustrating at times that I forget about how much he means to me and how much we have been through together. Also, thank you for posting about RUFUS!! I’ve been waaaaiiiting for this,

• avatar Mayzie says:

SQUEE! Rufus was as cute of a puppy as he is a grown-up doggie! You’re right. Time sure does fly. So I always make sure that when my mom gets TOO interested in the computer to go over and nudge her with my nosie so that she remembers to take the time to stop and cuddle with me in the here-and-now for awhile. Works every time!

Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

• Rufus! Remember how hard we tried to get his ears to stay floppy? Now he looks like a dog-bat. The cutest dog-bat EVER.

• Loved hearing more about Rufus. I think the best thing is that he also represents a time in your life. I feel that way about Miss M because she was my “I just changed my career so I can have a more meaningful life” time period. And we were Bachelorettes together and we lived in a cute apartment and had adventures. The time does go so quickly!

I just got word that my friend’s dog just passed away…hug your pups today and tell them you love them for her, okay?

• avatar Joanna says:

Awwwww…Rufus Doofus. Remember when he couldn’t walk through the grass because it was too tall for him??

• avatar rottrover says:

Time DOES go quickly. We learn so much from dogs. They pretty much demand daily cuddles at my house!! BTW, Bart wore his turtle neck yesterday on our walk because it was VERY cold for us. It seemed to keep him from getting sore and stiff later in the day!! Besides, he looked adorable!!

• Thanks for this post. It’s great to know more about how Rufus came into your life. The relationship we have with tiny dogs can be very different from big ones, I think.
    So sorry to hear about your friend’s dog. With two elders in the house, I think too much about the inevitable…

I’m so in love with him!!! That picture where he is sleeping and his hind feet are up at his face, LOVE!

• avatar Pip says:

What a lovely post and adorable pictures! We are also guilty of not enjoying the here and now …

To answer your question, we don’t have entries from Vermont, Delaware, TN, Georgia, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Indiana, Washington, Hawaii, West Virginia or Kentucky. I think we have the others covered.

• avatar Pip says:

• avatar Aleksandra says:

oh gosh, i didn’t think it was possible for rufus to get any cuter, but there you go– you proved me way, way wrong!

• avatar Aleksandra says: