Ginger Rogers: Nanny Dog

November 21st, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers | Stuff I Love

I took Ginger to my friend Julie’s house the other day to play with her kids…

Pit Bulls used to be lovingly referred to as “Nanny Dogs” because of the way they protected children.  It’s hard to believe that pitties used to be adored and trusted with children, especially considering the monsters the media has made them out to be.  Ginger isn’t around kids very much but when she is, she is always so gentle – I jumped at the chance to see Ginger play with some kiddos and help to bring back the “nanny dog” name for pitties.

Julie’s daughter Kaitlyn immediately took to Ginger – laying on the ground and just staring at Ginger as if they were having some private conversation.

Maggie wasn’t quite so sure about Ginger at first but seemed to enjoy having someone chase her around the kitchen, and Ginger was happy to oblige!

Ginger had a blast with Kaitlyn and Maggie…hopefully they can have a play date again soon!

Does your pittie enjoying playing with children?

* If Ginger seems like your kind of girl, check out her information on Petfinder *

• avatar Two Grads says:

Ginger is just too perf. Havi loves kids as well!

• avatar Sam says:

How fun! I’ve known lots of pits in my life (although I’ve never owned one) and have found them to be lovable clowns. I believe it’s bad owners that make bad dogs. I wish the media would look at some of our blogs before they post their stories!

Sam

• avatar Sam says:

Sam

• avatar Nancy says:

My pit-mix Cal will sit endlessly while little ones poke,prod,pet and talk to him. Once in a while his eyebrows knit together and I get an eye roll, but he will just stay put and let them love on him! I also take him to a local retirement/convalescent home for visits. Again, he will let them all touch him and talk to him. The only thing holding him back from being a “real” Therapy dog is his leash aggression, which while it’s much better than it was, still rears it’s ugly head on occasion….. :~(

• avatar Nancy says:

• What is the most adorable thing in the world? Pitties & Kiddies together. Looks like Ginger and the little girls had a blast together!

• So sweet!! Thank you for sharing this!

• So sweet!! Thank you for sharing this!

• avatar Christine says:

It’s so cute how the older girl and Ginger seem to have matching hair/fur. Just two pretty redheaded girls hanging out together!

• avatar Christine says:

• Cute! I had no idea that used to be their nickname.

It makes sense now, because when Jack met my little brother, Josh (he was 7 or 8), Jack was super gentle and wanted to stay by his feet the entire time. He would do his doggie lean on Josh, practically knocking him over, but it was still super cute.

• Cute! I had no idea that used to be their nickname.

• avatar Kate says:

How cute! All of our dogs like kids too :)

• avatar Kate says:

How cute! All of our dogs like kids too :)

• Has Ginger had puppies in her younger days? She looks so motherly with those girls!

• LOVE this post! Our pit is great with kids, though he’s only around them intermittently…its amazing how they just KNOw when to be gentle, calm, etc. The only thing Knox is guilty of is GENTLY swiping food from my 2.5 year old nephew if he happens to leave his string cheese unattended.
    The one thing that I worry about is our dog’s size and that he’s still a clumsy, energetic guy, so the occasional ‘knock over’ happens, but its not like toddlers dont do that on their own anyway ; )

Rachael – I don’t think Ginger had puppies when she was little, but she does display that motherly quality that I think is just so adorable!

Jessica – I was a little worried about Ginger’s clumsiness too, but she seemed to give them a wide enough berth that her tail or “pittie leans” wouldn’t knock them over!

• This is so nice to see. It seems like our pooches always know to become a bit more gentle when they’re around children. When I was growing up, we had a crazy mutt who would actually food guard and growl at us all the time, and we never thought it was a big deal. Our pitties have never growled, but it’s kind of amazing there is such a huge misconception.