Ginger “Boomerang” Rogers

November 14th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Bumming Out | Doggies! | Elderbulls | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers

I was very hopeful about a recent applicant for Ginger and went so far as to even set up a two week trial adoption for her. Ginger moved to St. Louis for what was supposed to be two weeks…

Unfortunately, after four days, Ginger was returned to me on Sunday. It has nothing to with her behavior – her adopter gave her glowing reviews. It just turned out that when she looked into registering Ginger with the city, she found out that the township she lives in has a breed ban. Now, I know you might be thinking, “Um, Emily, how did you not check into that?!” Well, I did. I checked to see if St. Louis has a breed ban (it doesn’t). I had no idea that she lived in a township or that said township had BSL on the books. This adopter also checked for BSL in St. Louis (like I did) and checked with her apartment complex to verify she could have a pit bull mix dog. She got the okay from them and we thought everything was fine.

Once I found out the name of her township, I Googled it and had to dig very, very, very, veeeeery deep into the township’s site to find information about the ban. If the BSL wasn’t enough, the adopter also realized upon bringing Ginger home that she did not have adequate time to care for her like she had originally thought she could. So we met up between Kansas City and St. Louis and I got Ginger back. My besties De & Jo came with me for the ride…

I am heartbroken for Ginger to be returned again. I feel like a failure as a foster mama. How could I have not known to check if she lived in a township? What was I thinking adopting her out to a grad student knowing how crazy MY grad schedule is? But I can’t let myself get too down about this. I have to think positively. So…we got Ginger a Hound Gear “Adopt Me” vest to get her more exposure and I am thinking about getting Ginger some business cards from Moo Cards to pass out to people who express interest in her. Any more ideas?

So, I guess we are down but not out. The right family is out there for her – we just haven’t met them yet. So keep your fingers (or paws) crossed for us that we find them soon.

For those of you who foster, how do you deal with failed adoptions?

• avatar Jenna Krabacher says:

Maybe this is God’s way of telling you that you are her family. You’re not a failure, you’re perfect. Maybe that’s just it.

• avatar Jenna Krabacher says:

• Our pack totally empathizes with this situation. I try to be positive and view Charlie’s return as a chance to spend a little extra time with a dog who has stolen my heart. All we as foster mamas can do is keep believing that there are other people out there who will adore these dogs as much as we do — and strategically hunt those people down! :)

• avatar Two Grads says:

Emily, I just started following your blog a month ago. I already feel a kindred spirit to you. A love for dogs and Grad Students?! Where is our overpriced coffee date?! A yet, I look up to you because you foster (and your school plays better football). Basically I adore you, and Ginger. But Ginger is your first foster. Anytime we do anything for the first time we have to learn!! This is NOT YOUR FAULT. Ginger is gorgeous and perfect, and you raised money to rescue her and help her medically. How lucky is she?!

The Grad Student who doesn’t have enough time?! Let me tell you something my mom taught me “you can say you don’t have enough time or money to do something, but if you want it, you find the money and time.” Actually, she taught me that when I was standing with Havi after first meeting her and crying because everyone else was telling me no. We figured it out 65 pounds, 600 square feet, a $3000 medical diagnosis later. How would you know that this Grad Student would return her, and that there was some random BSL?! WHAT IS A TOWNSHIP?! Everything in life is a learning experience, in the meantime, love up Ginger some more. And then you’ll find her mom and dad.

BTW, do you know Oh, Corbin?! Shes rescued 39024823948320 of pups…and yet, Oreo seems to stick. Ginger is your Oreo (and a cute one at that!)

• avatar Two Grads says:

• avatar Pat Fitzpatrick says:

Don’t beat yourself up over this – you had Ginger’s best interests at heart! Think of it as a lesson learned. I love the pic of Ginger sitting with her hind legs crossed. She’s just beautiful. Thank goodness her adopter got back in touch with you and put her in your loving arms (again).

The grad student – well, you have to think her heart was in the right place but she bit off more than she could chew.

Keep up the good work. Continue doing what you do best…..and expect to learn as you go along. I think you’re amazing!!

• avatar Pat Fitzpatrick says:

• avatar Kate B says:

I won’t lie. If I could convince Mr. E, I would already have talked to you about taking Ginger. I want another dog now that we have a fenced yard and a house, but Mr. E says no, that 2 is enough.
    I keep looking though, she’s an awesome dog that needs a great furever home! (Although I think she may have found it ;])

• avatar Kate B says:

• Oh dear, keep your chin up! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a real forever home for GR. Please don’t feel like a failure – as a foster mom you’re doing a sterling job, sometimes these things just happen.

• The township thing is definitely a learning experience – I don’t think you could have known that looking into St Louis animal laws wasn’t enough. And you are an awesome foster mom! You’ve taken her back twice now and raised $$ for her medical expenses – that’s quite a lot for your first foster! Ginger is lucky to have such a dedicated foster mama and you should be proud of all that you’re doing to ensure that she’s got the best forever home you can find. And Two Grads is right – the right home will make time for her – that’s just what forever families do!

• Maybe third time will be the charm?

• avatar Mayzie says:

GRRRRRRR! I just HATES BSL. I hates it a lot! And I don’t hates too many thing but I hate that. But you shouldn’t feel bad cuz you did what you were thinkin’ was the thing you were SUPPOSED to do at the time. The peoples that passed BSL – THEY should feel bad. Yes, they should.

Ginger IS gonna finds her Most Perfect Home That Ever Was real, real soon. I just know it!

And no more feeling bad, okay?

Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

• avatar Mayzie says:

And no more feeling bad, okay?

Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

Two Grads is right… Ginger is your Oreo. We do what we can to help them, we do what we can to make sure we find them a great home… and we don’t stop. The perfect home is out there. A lot of people (including my mother, who isn’t very keen on the idea of me having ONE big dog) told me to keep Oreo… that it was a sign she kept coming back. But we knew it as much as Oreo did, we weren’t the right home for her. We know there’s a better home out there where she’ll be a lot happier without Corbin putting her head in his mouth every 5 minutes :o) Keep you head up. This is the hard part of rescue.

You are an AMAZING foster mom to Ginger and she will find her right home. For some reason it just hasnt happened yet and maybe for the best. I wonder if there is something more she has to learn from you or visa versa. All I know is that you are doing all the right things for her!

• I’ve been taking each adoption ‘rejection’ very personally, and we were having a really hard time trying to figure out why people couldn’t see how amazing our guy is. Then I realized that all those homes weren’t exactly quite right, and there was a reason it was taking so long… I think you are getting Ginger out there, and just talking her up and showing everyone the positive aspects will be so helpful. And you may be surprised that there are a couple of Ginger lurkers out there…

• Don’t be down you are a very rare delightful person for what you do for those sweet dogs. I am fostering a little Pitt mix myself. I also have decided to adopt her. I already have had a Pitt/German Shepard mix for 6 years now. They are truly great dogs! Even more so as a companion. I also am a firm beliver that it didn’t work out because in future something better will happen. The adopter didn’t work out because Ginger has to meet the real person she was suppose to be with. Everything happens for a reason you just don’t know what the reason is yet! p.s. I live in a community where only small dogs are allowed. Nothing has ever been said about my 65 lb BabyGirl. I have been here 3 years and not one problem or incident . I take the responsibilty of my Babys very serious.

• I just lurve her so much! And, really, can you imagine a more perfect “boomerang” foster? She’s so laid-back and sweet and elderly and snore-y and silly and pretty and velvety and loveable and toot-y and PERFECT! :) Love you, Em and Ging-y!

• avatar Kirsten says:

Good God, you are not a failure! You are a big shining success just for taking on foster dogs, and Ginger will find her perfect home.

I know how overwhelming it can get when you think that NO ONE is going to come for a foster. I’ve never had a return but I’ve had Fozzie for two years, and have felt very overwhelmed at times!

I don’t know how to attract adopters–sometimes I feel lost about that. Have you contacted other rescue groups to see if they’ll courtesy post her? I have Fozzie posted with about half a dozen groups, and have gotten several good applicants from two of them that have high-traffic sites.

People have told me that adoption events are key but that’s not been my personal experience. Hang in there and know that you’ll meet that fantastic adopter, maybe not when you hoped or how you imagined but it will happen!

• avatar Kirsten says:

You are anything but a failure.

You will find the right home for Ginger. Until then, these little blips along the way can be positive reminders: It reaffirms to Ginger that there is goodness in the world (you) and she does not have to fear abandonment; it shows that you did right by her, despite her placement not working out she shined brightly her first four days in a new home! Lastly, it reminds us all where the real failure lies, in breed bans (and townships!).

You are a wonderful foster mom and the world is a better place because of you and sweet Ginger! Hugs to you both.

Thank you guys – you are all so sweet! I appreciate your encouragement so much!

Thank you guys – you are all so sweet! I appreciate your encouragement so much!