On Fostering: Daniel’s Point-of-View

September 8th, 2011 | Posted by Daniel in Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers

As I’m sure you’ve all heard – Ginger has been adopted! We are sad to lose such a sweet dog but so happy that she can begin settling in for good with her new family.  In honor of Ginger’s adoption, Emily asked me to share my thoughts on the fostering process.

In case you haven’t have guessed, I’m the realistic, critical thinker and Emily is the dreamer/idealist. So, when Emily saw a dog that was too sweet to be put down, she jumped at the opportunity without worrying about how everything would work out. I, on the other hand, worried about the details.

Where will we put another kennel? How will our dogs interact with her? Is it smart to let another female into the family voting process (you know Rufus would sell me out in a heartbeat if we were deadlocked)? Somewhat begrudgingly, I agreed that we could bring her home as long as it was FOR SURE a temporary thing.

The timing was great since Emily has been home during the days and able to leave all the dogs out, and give them lots of time to get used to each other. Emily was able to get Ginger back into shape and ready for a new family. While the dogs got along really well, there were a few hiccups along the way, mainly at meal times. Ginger didn’t like to share, but by simply noting this and altering our meal time process, we were able to keep the dogs separated and keep the house at peace. It actually was really fun seeing Ginger and Turk wrestle around on the floor, each one trying to stay on the carpet so they wouldn’t slide around on the wood floor. Now that I think about it, the way Ginger would throw her extra 20 lbs around “leaning” Turk off the carpet, it was a lot like watching a Sumo wrestling competition.

After the first month passed and we saw a couple of potential adopters come and go, I began to get worried that this adoption thing wasn’t ever going to happen and we might become a permanent three dog house. But as Emily was often told by other fosters, the moment you believe it’s not going to happen, BAM! You blink and it’s all over – she’s gone!

Will I miss Ginger? Absolutely. She was so much fun to have around most of the time. Do I love having a more peaceful house? Absolutely. I like to come home and unwind in a somewhat peaceful house. Am I ready to have a new foster dog? No… at least not yet. Emily is ready to go find the next dog available and bring her home but I’d like to take some time to regroup. We are planning to take Turk to Canine Good Citizen classes because I’d really like to get a better handle on him before we have another foster in the house. But I think after a little bit of time, we’ll be ready to take on our next challenge.

• avatar Kate says:

I, for one, find a three dog house very peaceful… or maybe my definition of peaceful has drastically changed over the years 😉

It’s great to read this perspective on fostering. I think my Mr. T feels the same way so I really relate. You guys did an amazing job with Ginger – you should both be so proud!

I’m looking forward to reading how you get Turk prepared for CGC. We had a lot of fun working with Heidi when she went through the test so I hope you guys do too!

• avatar Aleksandra says:

Daniel, thanks for sharing your thoughts (and your wit!) with us, Emily’s dog cult. Your perspective is so balanced, and I hope Emily appreciates that. You need to figure out the right end point for yourselves, and if this is a long-term plan for you guys, it’s important to make time for peace and quiet if that’s the right thing for everybody. But if you can, try to remain open to the idea of bringing another one — if the right dog comes along.
    Can’t wait to follow Turk’s progress as he tames his inner badass and becomes an officially good citizen!

• avatar Kirsten says:

So often happens that the more practical family member ends up equally besotted with the foster dog :) You guys did such a great job–and such a quick turnaround!

Three dogs is not toooo many, but I can understand wanting to take a little break! You’ll know when you reach the right time to do it all again.

• I loved reading this, and I’m wondering if ‘foster dads’ are quite similar. I’m always the one so excited to get a foster, and E is the one with all the questions and wanting the ‘peace & quiet’ of returning to a 2 dog house. So funny, he just said the other day that he was wondering if Levi would ever get adopted. The good thing about having 3 dogs is that it shows us how difficult it would be to have 3 dogs long term; so fostering quells our desire for another dog.

Amy, I agree that the idea of three dogs permanently seems overwhelming (esp in our very small house!) but I love the idea of having a third dog in the short term as a foster. Luckily Daniel is very understanding of my desire to foster and even though it isn’t his favorite thing in the world, he’ll do it because he loves me and even though he won’t always admit it, he loves to see a great dog get saved just as much as I do! :)

• avatar Daniel says:

Glad you all enjoyed hearing my ideas on the process. I definitely think fostering helps both of us appreciate going back to two pups in the house. But I also think Emily and I have somewhat different ideas of what a “peaceful house” is. I think we’ll probably end up with another dog sooner than later. I always try to tell Emily things will take longer than I think they actually will. I call it “managing expectations”. Emily calls it “frustrating”. :)

• avatar Aleksandra says:

HAHA you just cracked me up Daniel. My Ben does the same thing with me– very clever. I don’t know what your future will hold, but for us, I was gung-ho about fostering and Ben was very hesitant. By the time we were with our second foster dog though, Ben was really captivated. The dogs really took to him, and he loved knowing that he was doing something very tangible to save lives and change fates. We’re on our sixth now, and he absolutely adores her– carries her around like a baby, sings to her, whispers in her ear . . .
    I’m not saying it’s necessarily for you, but I hope you find a good balance that makes you equally satisfied :)

This was so great to read and sounds a lot like my house hold! Mom is always bringing in new fosters, we don’t often get much of a break, but dad is a good sport about it. He’s usually a cranky pants for about 2 hours, then mom and I will find him cuddling on the couch with our new foster furiend :o) Congrats to Ginger! I’ve been MIA a bit this week, so I’m so glad to hear that! My beautiful foster sister, Mia, was also adopted this week!
    -Corbin