This harness is made for walkin’

August 30th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Bungie Reviews | Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers | Stuff I Love

Can I let you in on a little secret? Ginger Rogers was NOT a good leash walker when I brought her home to foster in July.

Adorable? Yes! Super sweet? Of course! Good leash walker? Um…

I don’t know if it was living on the streets or something else that made Ginger bob and weave and pull me all over the place on our first few walks as foster pittie and foster mama, but let me tell you, I was NOT having it! It felt like I had a 62 pound mountain lion on a leash…not fun.

We’ve had great luck overcoming Turk’s less-than-stellar leash manners by dutifully using the Premier Easy Walk Harness so I figured it couldn’t hurt to try it with Ginger as well. Unlike typical halter harnesses, the Easy Walk has loops in the front where the collar is attached so as soon as your dog pulls, it will tighten around the front legs. Instant correction that isn’t painful to your dog!

What a difference a harness makes! Almost immediately, our walks went from a crazy, stressful trek to a relaxing training/bonding time for myself and Ginger. Turk has been doing a good job of showing Ginger how to work the harness, too…

Now, a word of caution…although the harness improved Ginger’s walking behavior by leaps and bounds, it is not the total answer. I am still working with her on what is appropriate and what is not.

I love this harness so much and plan on using it with all of our future fosters to make the walk an enjoyable experience for everyone. Now, Ginger comes barreling through the house when she hears me get out the basket that holds her harness. I’d say that was a ringing endorsement for it, don’t you think??

Premier
did not ask me to promote/endorse this product in any way … they have no idea who I am! This is just one pittie owner telling my pittie owning friends what a great product this is…

• avatar Aleksandra says:

we love this so much that we have a size medium and a size large, just so we can be sure that it will fit any foster dog we bring home. it’s been a real game-changer and sanity-saver!!

Alex, we had a medium for Turk, then Daniel found another medium at an estate sale in a bucket for next-to-nothing! Then my mom graciously bought a large for Ginger since she is a bit too busty for the medium. So now we’re set (as long as we don’t foster a small dog)!

• We use the easy walk! Its fabulous!

• avatar Sarah says:

This is also my hands-down favorite harness for pullers. We tried EVERYTHING with Sadie, who had never, ever been on a leash until the day we took her home. This was the only thing that worked. I still use this with her, four years later. And I love that Easy Walk now makes Eco-Friendly Easy Walks – made from recycled plastics and in recyclable packaging.

• avatar Alex says:

This harness has also been a lifesaver for us. When we adopted Beatrix, she let us know that she had never walked on a leash in her life, and had no idea how do so. With some clicker training and the help of this harness, our walks are enjoyable for the both of us!

• avatar Hski says:

We have this harness and it works well for us. Hope you have luck with it.

• avatar Kate says:

LOVE the easy walk harness! I recommend it to everyone I know!

• avatar Kirsten says:

I love the Easy Walk too and use it with my champion puller. Have heard even better things about the Sense-ation harness–apparently it doesn’t loosen so easily so stays fitted.

As for my own particular foster man’s leash lunging and poor manners, he still needs work–the Easy Walk can’t fix THAT! I have been using a head halter but have very mixed feelings about it; for now it is a lifesaver for those situations (narrow, relatively busy trails with no shoulder) where I feel I can’t control him any other way.
    Kirsten

We have one of those too! Doesn’t work well for me… but we’ve used it on fosters before!
    -Corbin

• avatar Brianne Sutherland says:

We used the Easy Walk initially with our vizsla, and it worked great. However, when I started to run with her, the harness actually helped her pull me around. I strongly recommend the Gentle Leader if your dog is a strong puller or if you want to run with your dog. I will never use anything else!!!

Awwww, Brianne….you commented on my blog! :) We originally tried the gentle leader, but Turk would always rear up on his back legs and try to bat it off. I do like it though for other breeds besides pitties.

• avatar lacy says:

Our dog trainer always advised against harnesses because she said it actually teaches the dog to pull…but hey whatever works, works! We use the gentle leader and it works wonders. We had to have the dog wear it for an hr or so at a time for several days just around the house before we were able to get him adjusted to it, but it works well for both our lab and the standard poodle! PS…Emily…maybe you should keep Ginger…she seems to be such a great fit for you guys :)

Lacy, with the easy walk harness, it actually immediately corrects pulling because as soon as they pull, it will tighten across their chest, pushing their legs together. This makes it difficult for them to walk and almost immediately stops the pulling. I think for pitties the gentle leader is harder because of how their muzzle is shaped? I’m not exactly sure but I’ve heard from many pittie owners that the gentle leader didn’t work for them either…and as for keeping Ginger, we love her very much, but I really do want to make fostering a habit, and if we kept her, Daniel wouldn’t let me foster anymore…so I have to keep my eye on the prize and hopefully Ginger’s perfect family will turn up! :)

• Hi from Chicago! I was wondering if you mom sells the custom dog sweaters through Etsy or another online site…? Cool weather will be here before I know it and Stranger needs a new getup! Thanks!

Ivy, I’ll be doing a post in the next couple of weeks to let people know when we’ll start taking orders. We don’t have an Etsy account or anything set up….she’s just been doing it for fun for my dogs up until now, then we realized how many other people wanted them! So definitely check back over the next few weeks – we’ll also do a FB post when we start taking orders! :)

• I’m a huge fan! I also own a few different ones, and get comments all the time about how nicely Skye walks! Now, with Sinatra, it was on the top of my list of things to buy. 72 lbs of solid dumb is no fun on a leash, and the Easy Walk gives me the edge so that training can start without dislocating any shoulders.

• Thanks, Emily! I will definitely keep an eye out! :)