Turtlenecks…for dogs.

July 20th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Stuff I Love

My mom is awesome – let’s just get that out of the way … and she knits a mile a minute.

On the phone the other day, we were discussing how rough the winters are for the dogs and I was lamenting that no dog clothes really fit Turk and Rufus. I mentioned that neck warmers would be amazing for the winters when it gets cold. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but I really do think it will help. Plus, it would be super cute.

I kind of forgot about it until I got a call from my mom today letting me know that she made a neck warmer for Rufus. Then she sent me this photo of her pup, Lafayette, modeling it. I die.

She also sent me another photo of Napoleon, her Brittany Spaniel, modeling Turk’s turtleneck. I died all over again.

Is it not the cutest thing?! I know we’d probably pop the collars a bit to keep it hip cuz that’s how we roll.

Knowing my mom, she’ll have 15 made by the time I go back to visit at the end of July. That’s just how my mom is...totally awesome. Now, I have a few other ideas in mind for her to make…like this skull & crossbones sweater:

or maybe just this cute, preppy fall hoodie:

I am seriously dying. the. death. Not even kidding. Oh, the possibilities!!!

What kind of clothes would YOU want knitted for your dog babies??

Skull & Crossbones sweater and Gray Hoodie sweater images from bernat.com

• avatar Aleksandra says:

My mom has now made Chick not one but TWO sweaters. One she knitted from scratch, the other she custom re-sewed from a sweater of her own that had shrunk in the wash. Amazing. He loves them both, but neither as much as his red dog hoodie!

• avatar Kate B says:

Okay true story: A couple winters ago I knitted scarves for my dogs. And my puppers have T-shirts for all the holidays- Baxter’s favorite is his Halloween tee that says “I love my Mummy” :]

• avatar Kerin says:

My pibble, Bonnie, loves sweatshirt hoodies and t-shirts – as long as the material is stretchy she loves them all.

Now Buster, our (we think) bullmastiff/boxer mix (80lb) is a problem because his ‘plumbing’ gets them soaked even though they are cut forward on the stomach side. Maybe if I add elastic it would be better, but thought I should through that out there if folks are making from scratch.

Kerin

(I love my MUMMY!!!!!!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, I’m dyin’ here. Where did you get it????)

Turk used to have issues with going potty on his sweaters but he’s a lot better about it now. I think the “I love my mummy” shirt is from Old Navy (am I right, Kate B?) but I don’t know if they are even doing dog clothes anymore.

• avatar Kristine says:

Your mom is beyond awesome. The little collars are adorable and so unique! I don’t know if I could convince my mom to make something like that for my dog, but I am going to have to work on her. My mother-in-law is actually in the long process of quilting Shiva a new dog bed. I love how we can so easily trap our parents in.

I have wanted a hoodie for my dog since I very first saw one. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

• avatar Kate says:

That is so cute! I love the hoodie idea!

• avatar Kate B says:

I’ve seen the mummy shirts there, but I actually got mine *drumroll please* from the $1 aisle at Target. And it was a baby t-shirt. As in… size 4-6 month baby shirt. Haha. (Baxter is a 15 lbs chihuahua/daushund mix).

• avatar mcgeeandme says:

If only McGee would wear cute clothes… He will pout around the house for about 10-15 minutes before attempting to rip them off with his teeth. :-/

• avatar LizN says:

LOVE the turtlenecks! I’ve made a bunch of the Cables and Bits dog sweater (well, it’s more like a shrug on the larger dogs). Here’s the pattern:

Very fun to make and doesn’t take long at all!