Ginger Rogers: Getting on a Healthy Diet

July 14th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Doggies! | Fostering. | Ginger Rogers

Tuesday morning was a big day for Miss Ginger Rogers – she spent the day with the vet!

We weren’t sure if Ginger was spayed or not, so we made an appointment for her to be checked out. I also noticed that she seemed to have a bit of trouble with stairs and her walk seemed a little bit ‘off’ so I got the okay from HAHS to have X-Rays done to make sure there was nothing wrong.

A few hours later, the vet called to say that Ginger didn’t need to be spayed – because she already was! Hooray! Her X-Rays, on the other hand, did show that she’s dealing with a mild case of hip dysplasia and a bit of arthritis. While this isn’t wonderful news, there are lots of things we can do to help Miss Ginger lead a healthy and productive life!

We’ve had Turk and Rufus on a healthy, all-natural diet for years (Nature’s Variety Prairie kibble) and we are doing the same with Ginger. We also started her on a regiment of PlaqueOff to clean her teeth (Rufus and Turk get compliments from the vet on their sparkling white teeth so we swear by this stuff!). A tablespoon of fish oil in the kibble once a day not only keeps their skin and coats healthy, but also supports heart, vision, and joint health. In addition to the fish oil, Miss Ginger also gets a couple of Glucosamine & Chondroitin chews to treat her arthritis. The vet believes that Ginger will also benefit from regular (short) walks to help keep her strong and maintain her muscle mass.

The vet is confident that this regiment will make Ginger healthier and ensure she leads a long, active, and happy life.

While you might think we spend a lot of money to keep our dogs healthy, I assure you, we really don’t. While our dog food is a bit pricier (about $50 for a 30 lb bag – which lasts us about one month), we rarely have to take our dogs to the vet. Besides annual check-ups, we really don’t see our vet that often because Turk and Rufus never. get. sick! I completely attribute this to our investment in their diet. I would much rather pay a bit more for food if it means I don’t have to spend as much at the vet.

Dog health is definitely a topic that piques my interest – Two Pitties posted about senior dog health a few days ago and got me thinking about this … what do you do to keep your dogs healthy??

If Ginger seems like your kind of girl…give HAHS a call to arrange a meeting!

** On a side note – in honor of my French mama I wanted to wish all you other Frenchies out there a Happy Bastille Day! **

• avatar Kate B says:

We feed Science Diet Small Bites. I know its not all natural, but Bella has bad allergies and I’m worried about switching it up. She also has a severe heart murmur and can’t be put under for a dental cleaning, so we’ll have to check out the PlaqueOff! Her teeth were bad when she came to us, and dry food kibble VS wet food has helped a bit, but not too much.
    Ginger Rogers is way too adorable.

For Bella’s teeth – you should try feeding her bits of baby carrots because it helps to remove the tartar build-up really well and dogs seem to love it! I understand being worried about the allergies thing – when Turk came to us, he was a mess and his allergies definitely were a problem! We took him to Brookside Barkery and they helped me find an all-natural food that would work to ease the allergies and whatnot. Fish oil will also help to calm allergies (and it’s cheap!).

• avatar Aleksandra says:

Nice post. I’m glad you got have the vet talk to you about all of the preventive things, not just the immediate necessities. Our Chick has luxating patellas (which is another bad joint condition), and we have him on glucosamine pills and fish oil, and it seems to help– no more limping after runs.
    I hope you guys are doing well together!

• avatar Kate says:

Maybe I missed it – but how old is Ginger? Molly has arthritis too, we actually have her on some daily pain medication to help her deal with it, but she’s 13 so that’s not bad for a German Shepherd! We’re keeping an eye on Mel too. She had TPLO surgeries on both legs and that increases her chances of getting arthritis too. So far we’ve been really lucky though and she’s not showing any signs of slowing down.

The shelter thinks she is around 4 or 5 years old…so she’s not technically a “senior” but from what I’ve read, the hip dysplasia usually is an issue from birth and it will cause an early on-set of arthritis. She doesn’t let her hold her back though!

• avatar Mom says:

Joyeux 14 juillet Emily! J’adore ton blog! Merci pour les idees pour la sante de tes chiens. Bisous. Maman

• I think we’re going to take your advice for the teeth cleaning product. Miss M just had her ‘dental surgery’ the other day, so now after spending all the money, I feel like we got a do-over. It’s great to hear Ginger is doing so well; her red coat is really beautiful.

You won’t be disappointed! Just be disciplined about the PlaqueOff and it will keep their teeth pearly white! It’s especially smart to start it after her dental appointment because the vet will typically scrape off a layer of enamel during cleaning, which can make them more prone to tartar build-up. The boutique worker where we bought the PlaqueOff guaranteed me that sticking with it can help to reverse even really bad cases – which is good, because Ginger’s teeth are pretty gross right now. Let me know what you think of it!