Garden Fail?

June 29th, 2011 | Posted by Emily in Bungie Nature | Green Bungie | Green Thumbs | Healthy Eats | Summer Fun

We didn’t have great luck with our garden last year, except for a bounty of tomatoes.

This year, we tried growing all of our veggies and flowers from seed.

We were so excited that we may have started a few too many seeds…and then planted a few too many of them in the garden…ugh.

With the weird weather (really hot then really cool then back to being hot again) and a crowded garden box, we haven’t had too much luck.

Our lettuce is a bit leggy, no tomatoes are growing in the back, and the pepper plants are naked. The broccoli was a major fail.

On the plus side, the scallions are growing nicely as well as the Savory herbs and the marigolds. We also planted one more tomato plant on the deck, which has a few little tomato babies that are coming along nicely.

Oh, and our raspberry bush is growing by leaps and bounds. I’ve spied about five little raspberries growing…can’t wait to eat them!

We also have high hopes for the zucchini and yellow squash we planted.

It may be too early to tell if our garden was a complete failure. We pulled out the broccoli and moved some of the more crowded veggies around. Hopefully, that was all our garden needed to turn around. We’ll update you later this summer…

Oh, and by the way, have you checked out our guest post on Two Pitties in the City? If not, get over there and leave a comment – I could win a donation to the animal shelter of my choice!!

• avatar Aleksandra says:

i think it looks great and you’re being too hard on yourself! on the raspberries: watch out for birds! they ate all of ours last year before we got a chance to pick them!!

I’ve been surprised that no birds have gone after the raspberries yet – any recommendations on how to deter them?? Up until now, I’ve only really worried about Turk discovering them! :)

• avatar Kate says:

That looks WAY better than any garden I’ve ever had! I think everything has to be brown and dead to call it a complete failure. 😉 It’ll be great if you can make a meal out of what you’ve planted!

I’m really just holding out hope for the zucchinis and raspberries. My hairstylist (who is a friend) said I could tip her in fresh produce this summer for all my haircuts, so I’d like to be able to cash in on that! :)

• Sometimes the best way to learn is by just doing it! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who isn’t a master gardener from birth (but your garden looks pretty darn good, especially considering you’ve got berries, spices, vegetables, etc growing in such bizarre weather)!

• I’ve never realized how hard gardening is, and I always envy everyone with their lush gardens. We do a lot of container gardening on our back deck, and the thing I finally realized this year is that even though I feel like we get a lot of sun, it is actually considered “shade” area. We just got some flowers, and I think we were going to write about them tomorrow. I want to hear more about your produce…it is my dream to actually grow my own produce, but we just don’t have the room on our little deck.

You might want to try doing lettuce in pots in the late spring time…they actually look really beautiful and would do well in a shady spot – you could do one or two heads in a small pot really easily. Plus, lettuce grown fresh is a million times more tasty than store bought!

• avatar Kate B says:

My garden is a total fail… because I never started it. :[

We were a little preoccupied with Mr. E…

• avatar Anne says:

I impulse purchased oregano, two kinds of basil and cilantro plants this afternoon. Hopefully that means I won’t have to feel guilty about killing yet another green thing in a few weeks . . .

I still think it all looks good in your back yard. Don’t give up yet!